What is a pre-major
When applying to WWU students can indicate an interest in one of the four department majors: Electrical and Computer Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Plastics & Composites Engineering, and Industrial Design. After acceptance to WWU, first-year students and transfer students should declare a pre-major status during Fall Advising & Orientation or at the beginning of fall quarter.
A pre-major is a student who is working on foundation (or prerequisite) courses offered by the Engineering & Design Department and other relevant departments. Foundation courses include math, physics, chemistry, engineering, art, and computer science.
Benefits of declaring a pre-major
- You will receive pre-major advising to ensure you are on track and taking the right courses for your intended major. The Engineering & Design Department has a Pre-major Advisor to help you stay on track.
- Most of our courses require declaration in order to register.
- You are eligible to apply for annual department scholarships.
Can I change my pre-major after I declare?
Yes! You can change at any time. Talk to the Pre-major Advisor about switching your plan.
How to declare
Send an email to ENGD@wwu.edu from your western email.
- First and last name
- Pre-major you wish to declare
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Plastics & Composites Engineering
Interested in Industrial Design?
Please check out the ID Admissions page for details on how to pursue that major.