Declare Pre-major

What is a pre-major

When applying to WWU students can indicate an interest in one of the four department majors: Electrical and Computer Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Plastics & Composites Engineering, and Industrial Design. After acceptance to WWU, first-year students and transfer students should declare a pre-major status during Fall Advising & Orientation or at the beginning of fall quarter.

A pre-major is a student who is working on foundation (or prerequisite) courses offered by the Engineering & Design Department and other relevant departments. Foundation courses include math, physics, chemistry, engineering, art, and computer science. 

Benefits of declaring a pre-major

  1. You will receive pre-major advising to ensure you are on track and taking the right courses for your intended major.  The Engineering & Design Department has a Pre-major Advisor to help you stay on track.
  2. Most of our courses require declaration in order to register.
  3. You are eligible to apply for annual department scholarships.

Can I change my pre-major after I declare?

Yes!  You can change at any time.  Talk to the Pre-major Advisor about switching your plan.  

Students on campus

How to declare

Send an email to from your western email. 


  1. W#
  2. First and last name
  3. Pre-major you wish to declare


  • Electrical and Computer Engineering
  • Manufacturing Engineering
  • Plastics & Composites Engineering

Interested in Industrial Design?

Please check out the ID Admissions page for details on how to pursue that major.