Derek Yip-Hoi, PhD
Dr. Yip-Hoi received his Ph.D. from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Michigan in 1997. His dissertation research focused on developing Computer-Aided Process Planning methods and software tools to support the automation of machining on Mill/Turn machining centers. Following his Ph.D. he worked for several years at the NSF Engineering Research Center for Reconfigurable Machining Systems at the University of Michigan. His work involved the supervision of sponsored R&D projects on Reconfigurable Manufacturing in collaboration with Ford, GM, and Chrysler. In 2003 he joined the faculty of the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of British Columbia as junior chair of the NSERC-sponsored research program in Virtual Machining in collaboration with Pratt and Whitney, Canada. In 2007 he moved to the Department of Engineering Technology at Western Washington University as coordinator of the CAD/CAM option in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology program and following this director of the Manufacturing Engineering program.
Educational & Professional Experience
- PhD, MS Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan
- M.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, University at Buffalo, SUNY
- BS Mechanical Engineering, University of the West Indies, Trinidad
- Professor, Engineering and Design, Western Washington University, 9/2019 - present
- Associate Professor, Engineering Technology, Western Washington University, 9/2011 – 9/2019
- Assistant Professor, WWU 1/2007 – 8/2011
- Assistant Professor & Associate NSERC/PWC Chair, Mechanical Engineering, The University of British Columbia (UBC) 7/2003 – 12/2006
- Assistant Research Scientist, Mechanical Engineering, UM, 1/1998 – 6/2003
- Research Fellow, Mechanical Engineering & Applied Mechanics, UM 9/1997 – 1/1998
- Yip-Hoi, D., “Cloud Based Computer-Aided Engineering Education: Finding the Silver Lining”, Proceedings of the ASEE 2020 Annual Conferences, June 24th, Online.
- Gill, D., Yip-Hoi, D., “A Strategy for Integrating Workplace Skills Development into a Manufacturing Engineering Curriculum”, Proceedings of the ASEE 2020 Annual Conferences, June 25th, Online. – Most Outstanding Paper Manufacturing Division
- Yip-Hoi, D., Gill, D., Gahan, J., Travis, G., Mackaay, L., “Material Stiffness and Cutting Parameters for Honeycomb Aluminum Sandwich Panel: a Comparison with Bulk Material”, Proceedings of the 47th SME North American Manufacturing Research Conference, NAMRC 47, June 10th – 14th, 2019, Erie, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Yip-Hoi, D., Gill, D., “Investigation and Modeling of Flag Generation in Honeycomb Sandwich Panel Machining”, Proceedings of the ASME 2018 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition IMECE18, November 9-15, 2018, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- Gill, D., Yip-Hoi, D., “Use of Model-Based Definition to Support Learning of GD&T in a Manufacturing Engineering Curriculum”, Proceedings of the ASEE 2017 Annual Conferences, June 25th – 28th, Columbus, OH, USA. – Most Outstanding Paper Engineering Design Graphics Division.
- Gill, D., Yip-Hoi, D., Meaker, M., Boni, T., Eggeman, E., Brennen, A., Anderson, A., “Identifying the Causes of High rates of Tool Wear in the Machining of Aramid Honeycomb Composites”, Proceedings of the ASME 2017 20th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, MSEC2017, June 4-8, 2017, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- Geometric and Solid Modeling
- Machining Process Planning and CNC
- Engineering Design
- Engineering Graphics